Virtual Assistants Week

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone,

I wasn't sure where to post this, so since it's relating to marketing the VA industry, I figured this a good place.

I noticed that there will be an event called Virtual Assistants Week, this month and Virtual Assistants Forums is a sponsor. I'm not sure if everyone is aware, or even recalls, but the industry already has a week -- 3rd week in May, which is registered with Chase's Book of Events and celebrated during the Online International Virtual Assistants Convention (OIVAC). On the 3rd Friday of May, we celebrate International Virtual Assistants Day. Both of these events are widely celebrated throughout the industry and by clients and groups that support the industry. This year will be our 4th celebration.

So, I'm a bit confused as to there being another Virtual Assistants Week, with giveaways, etc., all of which, I am sure, will be confusing not only to VAs, but the general public. What are we doing?

I speak from first hand knowledge, as the founder of OIVAC, when I say the steering committee and it's many volunteers run a very strong campaign to spread the word about the industry, obtaining worldwide coverage and international participation. In addition, we not only host The Great VA Giveaway (where individuals donate free gifts available to all VAs), but have seminars, workshops, exhibit halls, etc.; all in celebration of OUR week and the industry.

So, could someone please educate me a bit about the March event -- and I, of course, invite the March event organizers and all VAs to participate in the May, 2009 industry celebration.

But, I am confused about why hold and promote 2 Virtual Assistant Weeks.

Anyway, that's my question.

Thanks,

VAF Admin

Forum Administration
Staff member
Sharon, while I'm sure we can all appreciate the good intention behind your question the Virtual Assistants Week you're asking about is set up and run by www.connecting2give.com - Virtual Assistant Forums is being 'featured' for being a totally free community established for virtual assistants. We simply spent extra time and resources to get other VAs involved in the giveaways. If you would like more information about the event feel free to visit the link posted. We'll also be sending out a PM to all members shortly with information about the event, the giveaways, etc.

Our goal in participating with C2G - as was our intention with starting VAF in the first place - is to offer free support to VAs. No rules, no membership fees, etc. just honest-to-goodness community, support, and encouragement. Our participation at C2G is an extension of that. The VA industry is well known for it's support of it's own, and VAF is no exception to that. We're certain there is plenty of 'room' in the industry for the event at C2G and all that the group you mentioned has planned - regardless of the name of the event.

Not to 'pass the buck' at all, but VAF is not responsible for naming the event, although the administration of this site sees no real harm in the title of the event which no one can really 'own' [not sure who Chase's Book of Events is?? but pretty sure they don't issue trademarks?] and considering that it's simply "Virtual Assistant Week" at Connecting2Give don't really see the issue here.

Thanks for your question :)

VAF Admin

Forum Administration
Staff member
Also, just to further clarify - VAF is not a 'sponsor' but is the featured website at C2G - thanks again for your question.

Thanks for the clarification.

My concern is, frankly, that with active promotion of Virtual Assistants Week other than for dates already recognized as Virtual Assistants Week (and one the industry as a whole has worked hard to promote), will confuse people -- it's a branding thing -- .

Unfortunately, Connecting2Give.com does not have a phone number on their site, or I would have given them a call. If I can find one elsewhere, or at least an email address to contact someone, I will --

So you know, Chase's Book of Events is the world recognized authority and publication that approves submissions of holidays, events, etc. People use them as the resource to identify "official" dates on calendars, etc. It took a lot to get our week/day listed, which is a major step toward recognition of the industry worldwide.

So while not "copyrighted", it is a big thing!

Yours,

VAF Admin

Forum Administration
Staff member
Thanks very much for the info about Chase's Sharon - we can sincerely appreciate that it must have taken quite some effort on your part to have your event listed there as a yearly celebration.

You won't find an ounce of effort put toward stepping on anyone else's virtual toes here at VAF, or at C2G for that matter. It's simply a matter of both of our sites working to do good for Virtual Assistants - which can't really be faulted, as we're sure you and anyone else would agree and would never intentionally hinder. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.