View Single Post
Old 04-26-2010
Resident Member
Company name: JK Virtual Office Resources

Send a message via Yahoo to JKVirtualOffice
Follow this virtual assistant on Twitter Find this virtual assistant on Facebook Contact this virtual assistant on LinkedIn
Default Re: will it work with satellite?
I had satellite for awhile....I hated it. Depending on who you go with, you may find yourself without service for periods of time from one day to a week. If you go over the bandwidth restriction, they will lock you out for 24 hours. If your satellite gets out of alignment from weather or whatnot, it could take them up to a week to get someone out there to fix it. Plus, if it's past your warranty time, they'll charge you to come out.

Webcam and Skype will work, but very poorly. And I don't recommend using Skype with satellite as the way Skype is set up, it could very well pull over your bandwidth even when you aren't using it but are logged on.

Do you have decent cell phone service where you live? I'd recommend checking out wireless internet through a cell phone provider before you sign a 2 year contract for satellite + plus pay for the equipment. Cost for wireless is about the same (slightly less) than satellite, and you can it with you anywhere. The downside is that it only works on one computer at time so it wouldn't be ideal if you were looking to have a household be able to access the internet on different computers.